Saturday 14 July 2012

Beginner Sewing Project ~ Cellphone Case

We bought Miss Missy her own cell phone recently, and she wanted to make a case for it.  We had fun working on it together, and when we finished, I thought, wouldn't it be cool to share how we made it?

This is a really simple project, perfect for kids or beginner sewers.  I've made a pattern which is available here.

I can't put together a step-by-step photo tutorial for you because I didn't think of it till we'd already finished making it  ^_^  but I did take a few photos to show how it goes together, and I think it should be easy enough to follow.

All you will need is a pretty button and some scraps of fleece (we used scraps left over from the last batch of Blankie Babies I made).  You will also need the usual sewing supplies of scissors, pins, a needle, thread, and a sewing machine.

Using the pattern pieces provided, cut out the back and flap piece from one colour of fleece.


Cut the front from another colour of fleece.  We decided to use two colours of thread, so that the stitching would contrast with the fleece - pink with the purple and purple with the pink.


Pin the front piece to the back and flap piece with the wrong sides together and the curved edges even.  Stitch together as shown.  Use a pin to mark the position of the button hole and button, then put the cellphone inside to check the fit (Mr K's fitted fine, as did Miss Missy's of course, but I would have moved the button a bit if I'd made one for my phone).  Move the markings if needed.   Make a buttonhole in the flap, and stitch button to the front.


Viola!! 
A lovely cellphone case!
Happy Sewing
^_^


Blankie Babies are available for sale at my Felt shop



10 comments:

  1. What a simple but great idea. Might have to add it to my list of things to make to keep my phone safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice quick project - I may have to have a go at making a manly looking cellphone case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :)

    I think a manly one would look good, Andy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I'm visiting from Hand Makers Blog Hop. This is really cute and so simple!! Thanks for sharing this project! I am now a new follower and would be honored if you would visit and follow me back at http://lifeofblocks.blogspot.com/ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute & you make it sound so easy to make :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool, and I think even I could make it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute. She will be the envy of her friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think if my 9 year old can make it, anybody can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty cell phone case and my daughter would love to make it for her own new phone. It seems easy to do and it is simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope she gives it a go. I'd love to know how it works out :)

      Delete